Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Ah, the Invincibility Cheat...

My family was cursed with the lack of athletic prowess that many other families are gifted with. Evidently, my brothers, sister and I were raised playing more video games and fewer sports than the average family. At a young age, the concept of nobility in video gaming was all but non-existent. Cheat codes were used regularly. My favourite cheat code was always invincibility. Once I knew my character was infallible to physical harm, a heavy weight was lifted off my chest, and I could play without stress. Therefore, invincibility is my most desired superpower today. With this power, no villain would think to attempt world domination. They would cower and tremble when they remember that invincible Bryan would be on his way at the first news of their evil deeds. The only way I could be defeated would be to be cemented in the ground. Although the problem with invincibility is that the rules are always open to debate. Some examples include: What does invincibility mean? Can an invincible person breathe underwater forever, or just survive uncomfortably? And if all of the cells of the body were indestructible, how would an invincible person cut their hair or nails?Invisibility would be my second choice, but an invisible person would simply frustrate the enemy into using fire or an explosion to meet the invisible person where they're at. Flying is great too, but unless you're invincible as well, the enemy (or just some jealous person) is likely to shoot you down with a fighter jet or a surface-to-air missile. Super strength is also a brilliant super-power, however it would be hard to regulate and/or hide when you have to act normally. That Clark Kent and Peter Parker must have really difficult lives!

No comments: